PowerPivot is one of the best feature that is provided for the end-users and one of the best practice is to install PowerPivot once the SQL Server platform is installed on the server side. Microsoft documentation refers that ….the SharePoint farm for configuration consistency, including Application servert s and web-front end servers. The installer package includes the Analysis Services data providers as well as the PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 configuration tool. When you install spPowerPivot.msi you can customize the installation by excluding individual components.
There are certain data providers available on SharePoint and SQL Server that are very best to use with Analysis Services, the data providers such as Excel Services, Performance Point and Power View (very powerful…). To install PowerPivot on SharePoint can be performed using spPowerPivot.MSI file which ensures the full set of Analysis Services data providers and PowerPivot connectivity is consistently available across the farm.
PowerPivot for SharePoint is a big benefit for the users and also backend services which provides data access to the farm and this MSI will help tasks within middle-tier components. For more information on example deployments with this add-in refer to SQL Server BI Features and SharePoint 2013 (SQL Server 2012 SP1) topic.
Also the pre-requisites for this add-in is as follows
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
- spPowerPivot.msi is 64-bit only, in accordance with the requirements of SharePoint products and technologies.
- SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services (SSAS) server in PowerPivot mode. Excel Services will use the SQL Server Analysis Services instance as a PowerPivot server. Analysis Services can run on the local or a remote computer.
- To install PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013, the current user is required to be an administrator on the computer and a SharePoint Farm Administrators group.
- For more information on PowerPivot for SharePoint requirements and pre-requisites, go to Hardware and Software Requirements (PowerPivot for SharePoint) (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=247828).
In specific to the Office 2013 version the PowerPivot can be added as follows:
The PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2013 is only available with Office Professional Plus 2013. You must choose the Office 365 ProPlus or Office 365 Enterprise trial for download and installation in order to use the PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2013.
Then it is best to enable the PowerPivot using the Add-Ins in Excel 2013, see the TechNet documentation for more information:
Start PowerPivot in Excel 2013 add-in
- Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
- In the Manage box, click COM Add-ins> Go.
- Check the Microsoft Office PowerPivot for Excel 2013 box, and then click OK. If you have other versions of the PowerPivot add-in installed, those versions are also listed in the COM Add-ins list. Be sure to select the PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2013.