Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Performance Tuning Cookbook
- Learn about the performance tuning needs for SQL Server 2012 with this book and ebook
- Diagnose problems when they arise and employ tricks to prevent them
- Explore various aspects that affect performance by following the clear recipes
What you will learn from this book
- Monitoring SQL Server Performance with Profiler, Execution Plan, and system statistical function
- Finding performance bottleneck with the help of Resource Monitor and DTA
- Creating and Managing Indexes efficiently to boost performance
- Creating and Managing Partition efficiently
- Managing database files efficiently
- Planning Guide and Query Hints
- Dealing with locking, blocking, and deadlocking
- Configuring SQL Server instance option for achieving performance benefit
- Managing Performance with Policy based management and Resource Governor
As a DBA you must have encountered a slow running application on SQL Server, but there are various factors that could be affecting the performance. If you find yourself in this situation, don’t wait, pick up this book and start working towards improving performance of your SQL Server 2012. SQL Server 2012 Performance Tuning Cookbook is divided into three major parts — Performance Monitoring, Performance Tuning, and Performance Management–that are mandatory to deal with performance in any capacity.
SQL Server 2012 Performance Tuning Cookbook offers a great way to manage performance with effective, concise, and practical recipes. You will learn how to diagnose performance issues, fix them, and take precaution to avoid common mistakes.
Each recipe given in this book is an individual task that will address different performance aspects to take your SQL Server’s Performance to a higher level.
The first part of this book covers Monitoring with SQL Server Profiler, DTA, System statistical function, SPs with DBCC commands, Resource Monitor & Reliability, and Performance Monitor and Execution Plan.
The second part of the book offers Execution Plan, Dynamic Management Views, and Dynamic Management Functions, SQL Server Cache and Stored Procedure Recompilations, Indexes, Important ways to write effective TSQL, Statistics, Table and Index Partitioning, Advanced Query tuning with Query Hints and Plan Guide, Dealing with Locking, Blocking and Deadlocking and Configuring SQL Server for optimization to boost performance.
The third and final part gives you knowledge of performance management with help of Policy Based Management and Management with Resource Governor.
This book has individual recipes and you can read it from cover to cover or dip into any recipe and get solution to a specific issue. Every recipe is based on a script/procedure explained with step-by-step instructions and screenshots. Concepts are illustrated for better understanding of why one solution performs better than another.
Who this book is for
SQL Server 2012 Performance Tuning Cookbook is aimed at SQL Server Database Developers, DBAs, and Database Architects who are working in any capacity to achieve optimal performance. However, basic knowledge of SQL Server is expected, but professionals who want to get hands-on with performance tuning and have not worked on tuning the SQL Server for performance will find this book helpful.